- 1 doz. buffalo chicken wings or 8 drumsticks
- 1/8 cup coarse sea salt (for brine)
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1/4 cup pepper flakes
- 3-4 cups of cold water
- Ground black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Tabasco sauce
- Day old crusty bread or 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Ice cold water
- Prepare brine by combining 1/8 cup coarse sea salt, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1/4 cup pepper flakes with 3-4 cups of water. Ensure salt is dissolved.
- Rinse in cold water and add chicken pieces to brine, making sure all pieces are covered in liquid. Refrigerate for 4 hours - overnight. A longer brine time ensures more juicy and flavorful meat.
- Combine 1 cup all purpose flour with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon Chipotle Tabasco sauce and ice cold water to make a thin batter. It should be runny with a little bit of body. Refrigerate.
- To make the coating, process day old bread to make bread crumbs and combine with 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 deg. F/205 deg. C.
- Place a wire baking rack over a flat baking tray lined with parchment paper and set aside.
- Dip chicken pieces in batter, ensuring all surfaces of the pieces are covered in batter.
- Toss batter covered chicken in breadcrumb mixture to evenly coat. All battered surfaces should be covered with breadcrumb mixture. Place pieces on wire rack..
- Cook chicken in oven for 40-45 minutes.
- For kids, omit pepper and chili, and spices as needed.
- For a more spicy kick, double the amount of pepper for the brine.
- Serve with a side of green salad and Chipotle Greek Yoghurt dip - combine 2 tablespoons of Chipotle Tabasco with 1 200g tub of plain greek yoghurt.